What? A Valentine's Day post already! This is out early not because we're trying to stretch this holiday for all its worth in the manner of grocery stores at Christmas. It's coming out because Tacoma's best events are happening before February 14th, and because we know your heart may need time to adjust its expectations for what this day is about. It can be all about romance and one-on-one gazing into each other's eyes goodness, but it can also be about your pals, about community, about supporting local lady artists. See our list below to get in on all of the above!
1. 2nd Annual Valentine’s Market at GRLS Studio, 728 Pacific Ave, Tacoma
Saturday, February 3rd, 11 am-4 pm
image from @grlsstudio
Browse handmade, vintage, and art from local women who make, create, and curate at the beautiful GRLS Studio downtown. Look forward to an array of treasures:
- paper arts
- vintage and handmade garments
You might find a gift to give, if not, you'll be meeting local makers, and supporting the GRLS Studio mission to "be a source of creative and female empowerment in the local community." We're the local community, so if you're for female empowerment, go tap into this source!
2. GALentines Day Party at 2nd Cycle, 1205 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Tacoma
Saturday, February 10th, 6-10 pm, (21+ after 8 pm)
Hosted by Ladies Night 253 this is a potluck style dinner party at one of Tacoma's favorite places, 2nd Cycle in Hilltop. Bring food to share, or just bring yourself, and be ready to celebrate women in Tacoma and hang out around bikes. If you're up for a long night, start here and then move on to the party below!
Ladies Night 253 started in 2016 and they offer monthly opportunities for women to build self-reliance with biking and bike repair. What's not to love!
3. Make Out Like the Mountain is Out Party & YWCA Fundraiser at Courthouse Square, 1102 A St, Tacoma
Saturday, February 10th, 7 pm-12 am
image from @movetotacoma
This is a dance party, a fundraiser, a concert, a live art exhibition, a place to eat and drink and mix and mingle and celebrate Tacoma. Hosted by our friends at MoveToTacoma and also Lettuce253.
You pretty much just need to visit the event page to get a glimpse of everything packed into this party. Get there soon as tickets are required (keep in mind your $ not only pays for the fun but also supports the YWCA!).
4. Girl Loves Cake Desserts Pop-up at Paper Luxe, 2053 Mildred St W, Fircrest
Sunday, February 11th, 11 am-2 pm
Erin Powell of Girl Loves Cake Desserts will be preparing her vivid, creative, macarons for purchase at Paper Luxe on Saturday 2/11 only. They're like an edible bouquet in box. Mix and match her sensational flavors, or just pick your favorite color scheme. Look forward to finding these varieties and more (good luck choosing!):
- Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Passion Fruit, Lavender, Lemon Raspberry, Peanut Butter Cup, Coffee, Champagne & Strawberry
- $2 each, 6 for $11, 12 for $22
While you're there make sure to browse the outstanding stock of Valentines, greeting cards, and stationary Paper Luxe offers everyday. And don't forget Pint Defiance opens at 11 am right next door! Maybe your love would love a bottle or two of a favorite brew (Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, I'd rather have brews?).
You may have noticed all these parties and events we've recommended aren't on Valentine's Day. This frees you up to do whatever you want on Wednesday the 14th. Like...
What to do on Valentine's Day in Tacoma, WA
Wednesday, February 14th
- Stay home and write yourself a love letter, seal it up, and read it next year on 2/14.
- Sit down with your family and make cards for each other. Write down 1 thing you love about each person.
- Visit Johnson Candy Company on MLK and pick out a couple of chocolates for the people you love (don't forget you!).
- Cook dinner at home, it can be crazy out there!
- Go out for a dinner for two. Make reservations ahead! Tip from the service industry: Go out, by all means, but choose a day near Valentine's Day rather than going out that night. You'll be less crowded, will probably be able to take more time at your table, and your server will have more time for you.
Try these date night spots but remember, it doesn't have to be on 2/14.